Sunday, January 10, 2010

Responsibly busted

Every once in while, my genetic Catholic guilt combined with frustration over lack of money prompts a budget check. I never have any money left over at the end of the month. I must be spending irresponsibly, right? I am 15 years into my career and one of the senior people in my field at my company. I should have money left to save, right. Paycheck-to-paycheck is something for 20-somethings in college, right?

So I pull up Excel and make little rows for my expenses: Utilities, credit cards, transportation. Expenses are high, but my debt-to-asset ratio is ridiculously good, given that I own my house outright. I don't have any expensive habits like smoking or gambling. I don't even have cable TV. I keep my thermostat at 60 degrees at night. I am typing in the dark right now.

Then I plug in my income. I'm feeling very proactive and organized and grown up right about now. I'm being Responsible. I am creating a personal Budget. I am an Adult.

Click, click. Tap, tap. Digits entered. Formula in. What the hell? Seriously? I am supposed to feed and clothe and pay medical expenses for my family of 4 on $1,100 a month. Shit. Groceries are at least $200 a week.

I'm not irresponsible. I'm just effing broke!

Share on Facebook

No comments: