Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Passive bureaucratic pop

All those who roll their eyes at anal word people, read no further.

OK, for those of you who are left, I offer the following snippet from the chorus of a song by an unnamed American Idol winner: "... but there were lessons learned."

My middle daughter, who at 10 is enamored with this bubble-gum stuff, plays this song (and the rest of the CD) over and over again and sings along. And I wince.

Now I know I shouldn't expect too much from this genre of music, but bureaucratic cliches and passive voice in one song?

It’s almost too much to bear.

I know they were trying to rhyme with such inspirational gems as "some pages turned" and "some bridges burned," but someone should have killed this song before it made it past the first edit. And if that wasn't possible, they should have at least given it to Weird Al and added some additional corporate jargon to make it even more absurd.

Share on Facebook

No comments: