Saturday, April 25, 2009

Embracing a ghost

I was crying, those deep, mournful sobs born of unfiltered pain. I was adrift, with nothing to ground me. My mind struggled to understand, to find reason and meaning and logic in the senseless. Then, without warning, you were there, that sweet face that I can barely see anymore. You gathered me to you, pulled my damp cheek to your shoulder, one hand softly entwined in my hair and the other tightly around my waist. You did not speak, for I can no longer remember your voice. But your head rested on mine, your rough face touched my cheek and your eyes were soft. And for a while, everything fell away but us. It didn't matter what made sense and what did not, because you were there with me and I knew quiet in your embrace.

Share on Facebook

No comments: