Saturday, August 05, 2006

Belated patriotic mourning



My 6-year-old daughter was questioning me this morning about my recent trip to D.C.

She asked me, "Did you see Washington?"

I said, "Yes, I went to Washington and saw some of the city."

"No," she said. "Did you see that guy. Washington."

I smiled, "You mean the monument?"

"No," she said, a bit frustrated. "Did you see him?"

"You mean the first president?" I asked. "He's dead, sweetie."

"WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?" she exclaimed. "He's dead?"

"Yeah," I said. "He's been dead for more than 100 years."

Her response?

"Oh man."

Just goes to show the context of a 6-year-old's life. ;)

Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Mary said...

This kind of reminds me of a trip I took to Washington D.C. when I was around 6. I'm kind of fuzzy on the details, but apparently I created quite a stir at the Lincoln Memorial. Something to do with screaming about that nasty man who shot my Abraham Lincoln.