Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In search of the king


I spent half a day on Sunday wandering in the woods picking mushrooms and now am feeling just a bit obsessed. The sun was shining in my office window this afternoon and what was I thinking? It would be cool to be lounging in the yard? I wish I could go for a long drive with the top down? Nope. I was thinking, "I bet if I could just spend a little time back in the trails I could find some more tasty mushrooms."

I found a small number of regular boletus on Sunday, enough for one meal with steak, along with a few other things that, after looking at the spore prints and the book, to be either poisonous or inedible. Alas, my most prized quarry, the king bolete, has thus far eluded me. These large 'shrooms resemble their cousins, with a reddish/tan cap and spongy-looking gills. But they are much larger and--here's the best part--don't bruise dark when you cut them. They are oh so tasty.

Now if I can just find a place where the dang things are growing, it would simply make my fall, especially since I've been out of the state for most of berry season.

Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Newman said...

A mycologist is our midst or a Fungus among us.

Thanks for posting your link on The Alaskagold Forum.
http://forum.alaskagold.com